The dangers of mould in New Zealand homes

September 6, 2023

Mould is common in NZ homes, but that doesn’t make it safe. Here’s what causes mouldy homes, the problems that mould can cause, and what you can do about it.

Anyone who has lived in New Zealand knows that mould is a common problem for our homes.

One report found that almost half (46%) of people were living in homes that were damp and mouldy.

The problem is that it has become so common that many people don’t realise the dangers of living in a moudly home. And just because it’s common, it doesn’t mean it’s something that you should have to put up with.

Read on to learn more about the causes of mould, why it’s such a problem for your health and wellbeing, and how you can manage it safely.

What causes mouldy homes? 

Mould occurs when there is too much moisture within a home. For most New Zealand homes, that comes from condensation.

Condensation occurs when hot wet air, such as that from your shower or the kitchen, touches a cold surface. The moisture in the air quickly condenses into water droplets inside your home. When a home is not warm and dry enough for that water to evaporate, it sits around and leads to mould.

As a homeowner or renter, you can reduce mould in your property in several ways. Simply wiping up the condensation can make a real difference, as can airing out the property by opening windows on warm days, and using an extractor fan in your kitchen and bathroom.

Of course, keeping your home warm can also reduce condensation and mould.

What are the dangers of mould?

Typically, a small amount of mould here and there will not harm the average person. However, as mould builds up, it can cause health issues.

Touching or breathing in mould spores can cause a variety of issues:

  • Asthma
  • Allergies
  • Skin rashes
  • Respiratory infections or problems
  • A runny nose
  • Red, irritated eyes

For some people, the problems can be more severe. This can include asthma attacks. Those particularly affected include young children and babies, older adults, anyone with allergies or asthma, those with skin conditions (such as eczema), and anyone with a weakened immune system.

Mould removal for New Zealand homes

You can do basic mould removal at home yourself. Simply wipe with white vinegar or a bleach solution (2 teaspoons of bleach per one litre of water). This is a good option if there is only a small amount of mould and if you are not at risk (such as having other health challenges).

However, if the mould is more than just surface deep or if it is severe, you might prefer to call a professional mould removal service.

PRO Environmental Services offers expert mould removal in New Zealand homes. We will carry out a full site inspection and moisture test to determine the extent of the mould, and work to remove all of the spores in your property. Without such an in-depth cleaning, mould spores can quickly grow back.

Whether you’re concerned about the mould in your home, or are looking for commercial mould removal, PRO Environmental Services can help. We have specialists across the upper South Island and lower North Island, and you can request a free, no-obligation quote from our friendly team today to get started.